This packet of reading skills and strategies was created to use with the book Mrs. McNosh and the Great Big Squash and Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash by Sara Weeks.
Each skill or strategy has multiple pages that are differentiated to fit the different needs of your students - you can have all your students working on the same skill but with a page that best fits their needs.
This packet is tailored to this book with specific questions of varying degrees of difficulty. Students will respond by drawing, circling answers, writing sentences and finding text evidence to support their thinking.
Included in the packet:
Directions and Common Core Standards for each skill and strategy. Plus ideas for extending the activities.
* Asking Questions for both books - 6 pages
* Author's Purpose for both books - 3 pages
* Beginning, Middle, End for both books - 2 pages
* Cause and Effect for Great Big Squash only - 8 pages plus key
* Character Analysis for both books - 4 pages
* Character Response for Great Big Squash only - 2 pages
* Classify and Categorize for both books - 8 pages
* Compare and Contrast all books - 3 pages
* Fact and Opinion for both books - 4 pages
* Favorite part for both books - 2 pages
* Inference for both books - 8 pages
* Main Idea and Details for Great Big Squash only - 6 pages
* Plot for Great Big Squash only - 4 pages
* Predicting for Great Big Squash only - 3 pages
* Problem/Solution for Great Big Squash only - 4 pages
* Sequencing for both books - 13 pages plus 2 keys
* Setting for both books - 4 pages
* Story Map for both books - 3 pages
* Strong Thought for Great Big Squash only - 3 pages
* Visualizing for Great Big Squash only- 1 page plus 2 writing pages
* Vocabulary cards for each book - 4 pages
Common Core Standards addressed
K.RL.1, K.RL.2, K.RL.3, K.RL.5, K.RL.7, K.SL.5, K.RIT.3, K.RIT7, K.RIT8, .RL.1, 1.RL.2, 1.RL.3, 1.RL.7, 1..SL.4, 1.SL.5, 1.W.1, 2.RL.1, 2.RL.2, 2.RL.3, 2.RL.7, 2.W.1, 2.RIT.3, 2.RIT.5, 2.RIT.8, 3.RL.1, 3.RL.2
If you would like more information about this book and many others visit my blog The Picture Book Teacher's Edition
The PBT’s Edition Facebook page
The PBT's Edition Pinterest Boards
© Paper, some graphics, borders & fonts created by Shawna Devoe 2013
**If you have problems downloading this or any product, please make sure you have a current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.