This packet was created to use with the book Owl Moon by Jane Yolen.
Each skill or strategy has multiple pages that are differentiated to fit the different needs of your students - you can have all your students working on the same skill but with a page that best fits their needs.
This packet is tailored to this book with specific questions of varying degrees of difficulty. Students will respond by drawing, circling answers, writing sentences and finding text evidence to support their thinking.
Included in the packet:
Directions and Common Core Standards for each skill and strategy. Plus ideas for extending some of the activities.
* Asking Questions - 3 pages
* Author's Point of View - 1 page
* Author's Purpose - 2 pages
* Beginning, Middle, End - 2 pages
* Cause and Effect - 8 pages and 1 key
* Character Analysis - 3 pages
* Classify and Categorize - 5 pages
* Text-to-Self Connections - 3 pages
* Drawing Conclusions/Inferencing - 5 pages
* Fact and Opinion - 2 pages
* Main Idea and Details - 4 pages
* Making Predictions - 3 pages
* Problem/Solution - 3 pages
* Sequencing - 8 pages plus 2 keys
* Plot - 2 pages
* Summarize - 1 page
* Story Map - 3 pages
* Strong Thought - 3 pages
* Favorite part - 2 pages
* Genre - 4 pages
* Setting - 3 pages
This book is a great mentor text for writing and introducing figurative language. This packet does not focus in on those aspects of the text, I created this solely for the purpose of teaching and practicing reading skills and strategies.
If you would like more information on skills and strategies for this book and many others visit my blog The Picture Book Teacher's Edition
Follow with BlogLovin’
Follow with Feedly
The PBT’s Edition Facebook page
The PBT's Edition Pinterest Boards
© Paper, borders & fonts created by Shawna Devoe 2013
**If you have problems downloading this or any product, please make sure you have a current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Shawna Devoe of The Picture Book Teacher’s Edition is the sole creator of this product, Owl Moon Reading Skills & Strategies and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS or the WIDA ELD standards.