I have used this reading station for two years in my classroom. Students LOVE it! They enjoy choosing their books and completing the workbook. This station keeps students engaged in meaningful independent reading activities while I work with guided reading groups. The station can be used with ALL the students in your class – making prep easy. Students are assessed using a checklist – making grading easy. Most importantly, students are READING!
The Good Readers Detective Agency is an independent reading station. This engaging station guides students’ reading and provides the teacher with concrete evidence of comprehension and vocabulary building. The station is for students reading at guided reading levels J through T (grades 2-4). The teacher trains students and provides guidance in selecting books. Students read the books and respond in the student workbook. The graphic organizers and questions are aimed at meeting Common Core State Standards. The station takes students between 10-15 hours to complete (about 3-4 weeks if used with other stations). An assessment checklist is included.
Case #1 Book Series
Students read 3 books in a series by one author. A list of appropriate and engaging series for grades 2-4 (with levels) is included. During reading, students analyze characters, build vocabulary and summarize the stories. After reading, students compare and contrast the three books. Students have an opportunity to express their opinion about the books and write questions they would ask the author.
- Teacher’s Notes
- Common Core State Standards
- Student Workbook (pages are numbered – cover plus 19 pages):
-- Investigate a Book Series
-- Book 1 Story Elements
-- Book 1 Vocabulary (2 pages)
-- Book 1 Character Analysis
-- Book 1 BME Summary
-- Book 2 Story Elements
-- Book 2 Vocabulary (2 pages)
-- Book 2 Character Analysis
-- Book 2 BME Summary
-- Book 3 Story Elements
-- Book 3 Vocabulary (2 pages)
-- Book 3 Character Analysis
-- Book 3 BME Summary
-- Compare the 3 Books
-- Write Your Opinion About the Series
-- Assessment Checklist
- Assessment Teacher’s Guide
- Assessment Tracking Sheet
- Student Bookmarks (color and BW)
- Student Brag Tags (color and BW)
- List of Recommended Book Series by Level
1. Gather books (2 or more series per level with 3 or more books in each series).
2. Print and staple Student Workbooks.
3. Print and laminate Student Bookmarks.
4. Train small groups of students (guided reading groups work best).
-- Give each student a workbook.
-- Explain the focus and purpose (reading books in a series).
-- Briefly introduce and review the pages in the workbook.
-- Provide books at the students’ level and allow students to select their series.
-- Give each student a bookmark.
5. Students independently read and respond in their workbooks (schedule 20-25 minutes about 3 times per week for this station).
6. Check student progress and answer questions 1 or 2 times a week. Do a quick check during guided reading groups or circulate the room and check on individual students.
7. After each student completes the book series and workbook, assess the student’s work using the Assessment Checklist.
8. Early finishers can complete another workbook using a different series.
9. Give out Brag Tags and/or prizes (such as magnifying lens, book light, etc.).
More products in this series:
Good Readers Detective Agency Case #2 Realistic Fiction
Good Readers Detective Agency Case #3 Investigate an Author
Good Readers Detective Agency Case #4 Nonfiction: Read to Learn