Create an interactive bulletin board for students to use the hand for reading strategies. Students not only look at the bulletin board for ideas to help them read, they add their names to those strategies they most commonly use. Teachers can use this information to help students use and strengthen less often used strategies.
Posters provided for the bulletin board include 6 of the common labels:
• Thumb - Think about the story.
• Finger 1 – Look at the pictures.
• Finger 2 – Spot.Dot.Divide or Chunk it up. (both provided)
• Finger 3 – Re-read/Read on.
• Finger 4 – Use your lips. Sound it out.
• Palm – Does it make sense?
Directions to create the bulletin board and to make it interactive are provided.