Reading Strategy Trading Cards and Bulletin Board! Make studying reading strategies FUN in whole groups, partners, individually, or centers with meaningful, research based strategies! This is a set of 8 cards with strategies for dealing with difficult words that students come across in their reading. I’ve also included an enlarged version of these cards that you can post in your classroom on a reading strategy bulletin board. This product is also available with three other ELA products in the Common Core ELA Vocabulary Cards Bundle
English + Spanish (A Spanish Reading Strategy version is now included for FREE)
This set includes:
• 8 reading strategy cards with the strategy and a picture to help remember it on the front and an explanation of how to use it when reading on the back.
• The same 8 reading strategy cards with the strategies on them but blank spaces for students to draw their own picture and room to write their own explanation.
• 8 blank cards that students can use to add more strategies to as they learn them.
• A template for a labeled box that students can cut out, write their name on and color to store their reading strategy cards in.
• A list of ways you can use these reading strategy cards with your students that is based on Robert Marzano’s “Six Steps to Better Vocabulary Instruction”. This list helps me because I can show parents, administrators, other teachers, etc. that I’m using research-based methods in my classroom.
• An enlarged version of these cards that you can post in your classroom on a reading strategy bulletin board.
• Trading Card Manual: 15 pages of tips and ideas on how to use these trading cards in your class.
• Spanish Reading Strategy set now included for FREE to use with Spanish speaking or bilingual students
I print these reading strategy cards out double sided on card stock so they look and feel like real trading cards but they work just as well on regular paper. The front of each card has the strategy with its picture. The back has an explanation of how to use the strategy when you come across a difficult word you don’t know the meaning of in your reading.
These are the 8 reading strategies for determining the meaning of difficult words included in this set:
• Consider the Context
• Does it have an affix?
• Root Word Clues
• Look it up!
• Literal vs. nonliteral?
• Make a connection
• Substitute a synonym
• Ask an expert
Here are some related products:
Common Core ELA Vocabulary Bundle
- Best Deal: Save $8.50!
Parts of Speech Trading Cards and Word Wall
Punctuation Cards and Word Wall
Capitalization Rules Trading Cards and Bulletin Board
Check out my other ELA
Thanks for looking and be sure to check out the other fun vocabulary cards and games in
Reading Strategy Cards and Bulletin Board
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License