This resource is packed with printables for reading strategies and task cards for students to work on responding to their reading in various ways.
The following is a list of what you will find in Reading Strategies and Activities for Grades 5 to 8. It meets the ELA curriculum standards for Canada, the US, Australia, NZ and the UK. The format is such that teachers can use this product with any reading materials that meet the needs of the students.
1. Before Reading Strategies
2. During Reading Strategies
3. After Reading Strategies
4. Reading a Short Story: mini-lesson, elements of the short story, strategies for reading a short story
5. Task Cards for Responding to a Short Story
6. Reading Poetry - mini-lesson, elements of poetry, how to read poetry
7. Task Cards for Responding to Poetry
8. Reading Drama: mini-lesson, elements of drama, how to read drama
9. Task Cards for responding to Drama
7. Reading Informational Text: mini-lesson, elements of informational text, how to read informational text
8. Reading News Articles: mini-lesson, elements of news articles, how to read news articles
9. Task cards for responding to news articles
10. Reading Opinion Texts: mini-lesson, elements of opinion texts, how to read opinion texts
11. Task Cards for reading opinion texts
12. Reading Consumer Information: mini-lesson, elements of consumer information, how to read consumer information
13. Task Cards for responding to consumer information
Teachers can reproduce the pages for students to glue into their notebooks or print them out on chart paper to display in the classroom.
Each section of Reading is color coded. In this way students can decide which type of reading they want to work on at a station.
Reproduce the task cards and cut them in half. Laminate the task cards for durability.