Brightly colored posters that will help students remember the different strategies they can use if they come across a word they don't know! Posters include:
- Try: keep trying and don't give up! Read it again and again.
- Pictures: look at the pictures.
- Stretch It: stretch the word out to sound out each letter slowly.
- Chunk It: break the word into chunks of familiar sounds.
- Skip It: skip over it and come back after finishing the sentence.
- Flip It: flip the vowel sound (long and short) to see what sounds best.
- Beginning Sounds: sound out the beginning letters to help you figure out the rest of the word.
- Ask: if you've tried all of your strategies, ask a friend or teacher for help.