Reading Strategy Trading Cards! Make studying reading strategies FUN in whole groups, partners, individually, or centers with meaningful, research based strategies!
This is a set of 8 reading strategy trading cards to help students deal with difficult words that students come across in their reading.
This Reading Strategy Trading Card Set includes:
• 8 reading strategy cards with the strategy and a picture to help remember it on the front and an explanation of how to use it when reading on the back.
• The same 8 reading strategy cards that can be used as task cards with the strategies on them but blank spaces for students to draw their own picture and room to write their own explanation.
• 8 blank cards that students can use to add more strategies to as they learn them.
• A template for a labeled box that students can cut out, write their name on and color to store their reading strategy cards in.
• A list of ways you can use these reading strategy cards with your students that is based on Robert Marzano’s “Six Steps to Better Vocabulary Instruction”. This list helps me because I can show parents, administrators, other teachers, etc. that I’m using research-based methods in my classroom.
• Trading Card Manual: 15 pages of tips and ideas on how to use these trading cards in your class.
I print these reading strategy cards out double sided on card stock so they look and feel like real trading cards but they work just as well on regular paper. The front of each card has the strategy with its picture. The back has an explanation of how to use the strategy when you come across a difficult word you don’t know the meaning of in your reading.
These are the 8 reading strategies for determining the meaning of difficult words included in this set:
• Consider the Context
• Does it have an affix?
• Root Word Clues
• Look it up!
• Literal vs. nonliteral?
• Make a connection
• Substitute a synonym
• Ask an expert
Here are some related products:
Common Core ELA Vocabulary Bundle
- Best Deal: Save $8.50!
Parts of Speech Trading Cards and Word Wall
Punctuation Cards and Word Wall
Capitalization Rules Trading Cards and Bulletin Board
Reading Strategy Cards and Bulletin Board
Check out my other ELA
Thanks for looking and be sure to check out the other fun vocabulary cards and games in
Reading Strategy Cards
by Mr. Elementary
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License