Use these 3rd Grade Reading Street vocabulary sorts in your centers, for interventions, or for whole class vocabulary practice. I use them everyday by having my students stamp the back of the cards as matching and they sort them everyday as vocabulary practice.
1. I have them trim the four sides off.
2. They cut the pieces into horizontal strips (so the vocabulary word, definition and sentence are in one strip).
3. They stamp (or draw) the same stamp or shape on the backs of those 3 matching cards.
4. They stamp (or draw) a different stamp or shape on the other strips.
5. They then cut apart the vocabulary word, definition and sentence and mix them all up.
6. We put them in envelopes and practice sorting our words everyday. I also send the envelopes home every night and they practice sorting at home.
Our vocabulary scores greatly improved after I started implementing this method. It is also wonderful fluency practice for my students.
All 6 units of the 2013 Reading Street Program are included! There are 30 lists in all. Each list has the words, definitions and sentences on one page for your students to sort over and over! I have also included the vocabulary flash cards for display.
When Charlie McButton Lost Power
What About Me?
My Rows and Piles of Coins
I Wanna Iguana
Tops and Bottoms
Amazing Bird Nests
How Do You Raise a Raisin?
Pushing Up The Sky
Symphony of Whales
Around One Cactus
Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest
Rocks in His Head
Fly, Eagle, Fly!
I Love Saturdays y Domingos
Good-bye, 382 Shin Dang Dong
Me and Uncle Romie
The Statue of Liberty
Happy Birthday Mr. Kang
Two Bad Ants