This file contains a roll and read activity that can be used for all six weeks of the Unit 5 Scott Foresman Reading Street reading program. This 23 page set includes 102 word cards, 7 work mats (1 per week and one non week specific), direction card for single and group variation, student visual direction card, WALT (what am I learning today) card, and common core/I can statement card for the unit. Words are a mix of sight words and CVC words. This set has everything you need to start on week one and build your word bank each week. It starts with 24 words on week one and ends the 72 words on week 6. I have also included a word practice worksheet and bonus activity ideas.
How to play:
Prep: Cut and laminate one set of word cards, direction cards and work mats. Each students needs his/her own work mat. Gather dice and word cards for current week.
1. Students place 6 cards face down on their work mats.
2. Student rolls the die and turns over the corresponding card.
3. Students try to read the card. If he/she can read the word, he/she discards it, and takes another card. If not they turn it back over, and it is the next student's turn.
4. When cards are gone the students can shuffle discard pile and keep playing.
BONUS activity ideas
I have included an open ended word practice worksheet for each week that can be used with the cards in any of the following ways. (direction cards are not included for these activities).
*Put the cards in a pile and have the students flip a card, read the word, write the word.
*Put the cards on sticks and put them in the sand table and have students pick a card, read the word, write the word.
*Make two sets of word cards and have the students play go fish with the cards. When done they can write down their word pairs.
* Have students rainbow write the words with markers or stamp the words instead of using a pencil. * Have students write the words three times each.
* Use these cards with my Word Practice for Any Word List packet from my store.
CHECK OUT MY STORE FOR ALL SIX UNITS!