“Finally! A FUN way to review! My kids really liked this last year. Will use again this year!” - Anna C.
At Not So Wimpy Teacher, we know how stressful it can be to help your students prep for standardized testing. It can feel like there’s so much to cover and so little time.
That’s why I created this resource. It is your COMPLETE kit for preparing your students for standardized testing on their reading skills. It has everything you need to help you review the standards for literature and informational texts. You and your students might even—dare we say it?—find it fun!
Are you looking for a Google Classroom version for at-home learning? Click HERE.
This resource includes six centers that cover these critical skills:
- Main Idea (Informational Text)
- Central Message (Literature)
- Point of View (Informational Text)
- Cause and Effect (Informational Text)
- Context Clues / Drawing Conclusions (Informational Text and Literature)
- Character Traits (Literature)
These centers have EVERYTHING you need. You won’t need to purchase any books, because all of the mentor texts are included. It’s that complete!
How It Works
You can use these Centers in a variety of ways, but here are some suggestions to inspire you.
- Rotations: Divide the class into six groups. Lay the centers around the room or on desks and give your students 20-30 minutes at each center. You can do one rotation per day for six days. Or, if you have more time, do additional rotations.
- Work together: Display a passage using a projector, SMART Board, or document camera. Have your students complete the responses individually and then discuss with a partner.
- Reading centers: Have your students complete them at their own pace during any of your reading centers. They can work on them while you meet with guided reading groups.
- Guided reading groups: Help your students complete the centers as part of guided reading groups.
Each center includes:
- Four half-page task cards with text and a cover sheet (in color and black and white versions).
- Accompanying each task card is a student-response sheet with text-dependent and constructed-response questions. These can be placed in a booklet for students to complete all of the centers. Or, give them only the response sheet for the skill you’re working on.
- Answer key booklet and class data sheet, so you can see which students need more help with certain skills.
Please check out the preview for a sample of a few of the centers.
Check out these other test prep units:
Test Prep Math Centers
Test Prep Math Task Cards
Game Day Test Prep