Assess your students’ ability to answer questions and construct responses with this short, age-appropriate story and mid-year reading test. You can use it to sample student skills, to guide instruction, or as a test prep activity.
Four versions are now included. Each includes seven questions.
• Longer with CCSS – This six-page test includes a two-page story, three pages of questions (six requiring longer responses), and a rubric. Common Core State Standards appear for each question, as well as on the rubric.
• Longer without CCSS – This six-page test also includes a two-page story, three pages of questions (six requiring longer responses), and a rubric. No standards are listed.
• Shorter with CCSS – This five-page test includes a two-page story, two pages of questions (three requiring longer responses), and a rubric. Common Core Standards appear for each question, as well as on the rubric.
• Shorter without CCSS – This five-page test also includes a two-page story, three pages of questions (three requiring longer responses), and a rubric. No standards are listed.
• Answer an inferential question. (RL.4.1)
• Summarize the story. (RL.4.2)
• Find a theme. (RL.4.2)
• Describe a character. (RL.4.3)
• Define a word using context clues. (RL.4.4)
• Discriminate between poetry, drama, and prose. (RL.4.5)
• Determine point of view. (RL.4.6)
Click on Preview to take a look at the longer and shorter tests (with CCSS listed).
Created by master teacher Brenda Kovich
, this activity is classroom tested and kid approved. It is also available as a part of a three-test bundle: Literature Assessments - Grade 4
, which allows you to test at the beginning, middle, and end of the year.
Are you looking for units to support literature instruction? Try these!
Fourth Grade Literature Units
This unit is now available as part of my Fourth Grade Reading Curriculum - Literature Skills Bundle
. You can purchase eight complete standards-based units (including lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, practice, and assessments) plus three comprehensive assessments for a discounted price - - - or pick and choose from the list below:
• Answering Questions Unit
• Finding a Theme Unit
• Summarizing Unit
• Describing a Character Unit
• Words from Mythology Unit
• Prose, Drama, and Poetry Unit
• Determining and Defending Point of View Unit
• Comparing and Contrasting Folklore Unit
Click on Follow Me to be notified as other units are published.
For weekly ideas, activities, links, and freebies, check out my blog, Enjoy Teaching
I’m committed to continual improvement. This product was most recently updated and enhanced on July 7, 2017.