This lesson was designed for preschool teachers and parents to use while reading to children ages 3-5. It was designed with the Common Core State Standards in mind and includes language from the Common Core documents to help children become used to the language prior to entering school.
Alignment with Common Core Standards:
This lesson utilizes language found in the Common Core standards, exposing children to the vocabulary they will encounter with regards to literacy once the enter Kindergarten. The lesson begins the scaffolding of the standards right in the comfort of your home or in the preschool setting.
This lesson plan includes:
1. Lesson Outline – a “how-to” for teachers;
2. What the Research Says – key details about early literacy;
3. Parent Guide – to help parents use the questions while reading to their children at home;
4. Questions for Parents/Teacher to use with students as they read a book;
5. Reading Log to record time spent and books read.