- This reading unit includes a PowerPoint, two interactive notebook activities, centers and three passages that can be used in reading groups or as assessments. The resources will help students to practice basic comprehension skills and respond to text dependent questions using evidence from the text.
- This reading unit includes a PowerPoint, two interactive notebook activities, centers and three passages that can be used in reading groups or as assessments. The resources will help students to learn to identify character traits in text. The unit is intended to be used over a two-week time frame, b
- This reading unit includes a PowerPoint, two interactive notebook activities, centers and three passages that can be used in reading groups or as assessments. The resources will help students to use clues in fiction text to determine the meanings of unknown words.The unit is intended to be used over
- This reading unit includes a PowerPoint, two interactive notebook activities, centers and three passages that can be used in reading groups or as assessments. The resources will help students to identify who is telling the story and their point of view (opinion) about events from the story. Students
- Some people climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. Others run marathons or even ultramarathons. There are people who dog sled in the Iditarod or pull trains with their teeth.And then there are the 3rd grade teachers who must teach their students reading comprehension skills (main idea, central message, point of vie$75.00$96.00Save $21.00
- Bundle Description
This reading bundle contains four different units: character traits, and & answer questions, context clues and point of view. All four units focus on fiction text. Each of the four reading units includes a PowerPoint, two interactive notebook activities, centers and three passages that can be used in reading groups or as assessments.
The units are intended to be used over a two-week time frame, but this can easily be adjusted to meet your needs. (Bundle has a total of eight weeks of materials!)
The units do not correlate with one particular reading curriculum, but it has been designed to supplement any materials or routines that you already have in place.
The resource was designed for third graders. It may be appropriate for some second or fourth grade classes.
Character Traits- Fiction
Ask & Answer Questions- Fiction
Context Clues- Fiction
Point of View- Fiction
Included in the Bundle:
Teacher Directions & Tips
4 PowerPoint Mini Lesson
8 Interactive Notebook Activities
20 Centers (Including reading response)
12 Passages/Assessments (with answer keys)
Teacher Binder Cover
Student Notebook Cover
BONUS- a set of RACE posters
The PowerPoint slide shows are designed to be used as an introduction to the skill. It is short enough to be used as a mini lesson prior to your reading groups. The slides get students to participate and discuss the skill.
Interactive Notebook Activities
Each of the four units includes two interactive notebook activities. You might choose to do one of these each week as a whole group activity, or you might choose to use them in small groups or centers.
The activities have very simple cuts so that precious time is not wasted in class.
The first activity is designed to be a reference and review from the PowerPoint mini lesson. The second activity is more challenging and asks students to use the skills they have learned to demonstrate understanding.
Students will need a notebook (spiral or composition), scissors and glue.
BONUS: If you also use my Grammar Units, one notebook will easily fit all of the grammar and reading notebook activities. I included a cover and dividers for this.
Each of the four units includes FIVE centers and one student recording book. The answers to all five centers can be written into the one recording book. The recording book takes two sheets of paper.
These centers include text, matching, task cards and color coding activities.
The final center is a reading response activity. Students will need access to some fiction picture books. The center will require that they read two different books and respond to a question relating to the unit skill. You can allow them to use read alouds, choose books from your classroom library or choose from a basket of books that you have preselected. You could even have them use a story from your basal.
The centers include student friendly directions and were intended to be clear enough for students to complete independently while still providing adequate practice of the reading skill.
I highly recommend putting all five centers out and allowing your students to complete the center activities in any order that they wish.
There are color and blackline versions included. Labels for the centers are also included.
These centers take four-six sheets of paper per unit. I do recommend cardstock and lamination for durability. Depending on the size of your groups, you might want to print more than one copy of each center.
I made each unit of centers with the plan that students would complete them in two weeks. This will somewhat depend on how much center time you have scheduled. If students finish early, I would recommend having them choose a book and read to themselves.
Each of the four units includes THREE different passages with 3 questions on each passage. The questions focus specifically on this reading skill.
The passages can be used in a variety of ways. You can use them as a pre-test, post-test and a re-test. You could use 1-2 of them in your reading groups and then use the last one as an assessment at the end of the two-week unit. They can be done as a whole group lesson.
BONUS: RACE Strategy Posters (In Ask & Answer Questions Unit)
Students will be learning the RACE strategy for responding to text dependent questions.
R- Restate part of the question
A- Answer all parts
C- Cite evidence
E- Explain your evidence
(Explain the evidence will be introduced, but not required by students until later units.)
I have included posters for this strategy so that you can display them in your classroom if you choose.