Also included in
- I love the centers that are included for every standard. Everything that is included is very engaging and thorough. - AmandaOur Second Grade Reading Units and Centers are designed to help your students master all of the Second grade standards-based reading skills in a fun and engaging way. This MEGAPrice $75.00Original Price $90.00Save $15.00
Our Second Grade Reading Units and Centers are designed to help your students master all of the Second grade standards-based reading skills in a fun and engaging way. This Unit 1 Bundle includes 8 weeks of lessons. Each unit includes a PowerPoint mini lesson, 2 interactive notebook activities, 5 centers (including one reading response activity), and 3 reading passages.
Your students will get essential practice of important reading comprehension skills, including answering questions, story structure, story elements and character response through focused practice on one skill at a time. Unit one includes fiction passages and can be used as a supplement to any reading curriculum.
We’ve made it simple to incorporate these low-prep lessons into your reading instruction. Each unit focuses on just one skill or standard at a time, which helps students master skills. Student friendly directions enable students to work independently. The same centers are used in every unit making it easy to establish a routine. Interactive notebook activities and reading passages make assessments easy.
This is a money-saving bundle. It includes four individual Second grade lessons. If purchased individually, these resources would cost $24, but you can get all four for just $20. Or save even more money and buy the money-saving mega bundle, which includes ALL 16 Second grade reading units for just $75. That’s like getting 3.5 units (almost an entire unit bundle) for free!
- Teacher Directions & Tips
- 4 PowerPoint Mini-Lessons
- 8 Interactive Notebook Activities
- 20 Centers (text, task cards, matching, color coding, reading response)
- 12 Passages/Assessments (with answer keys)
- Teacher Binder Cover
- Student Notebook Cover
- BONUS - a set of RACE reading response posters
Topics and Skills Covered:
- Answering Questions - Fiction
- Story Structure - Fiction
- Story Elements - Fiction
- Character Response - Fiction
❤️❤️ Why You’ll Love it: ❤️❤️
- Easy to prep and use materials save valuable time
- Interactive lessons are fun and engaging and hold students interest
- Each unit focuses on one standard-based reading skill at a time
- Provides excellent practice and preparation for standardized tests
How to Use it in the Classroom:
There are so many ways to use this resource in the classroom.
- These units are perfect to use during reading workshop.
- The units do not correlate with any one reading curriculum. They are designed to supplement any materials or routines that you already have in place.
- You can use any books (or magazines) you already have in your classroom library or school library.
- Each unit is intended to be used over a two-week time frame, but this can easily be adjusted to meet your needs.
The PowerPoint Mini-Lesson
- The PowerPoint slide shows provide an introduction to the skill and are great for whole group instruction.
- The interactive slides encourage student participation and discussion.
Interactive Notebook Activities
- There are two interactive notebook activities per unit. The activities have very simple cuts so precious class time is not wasted!
- You could use these as a whole group activity (one each week) or in small groups at the teacher table or centers.
- The first activity is designed to reference and review the PowerPoint mini-lesson. The second activity however is more challenging and asks students to demonstrate their new skills.
- Students will need a notebook (spiral or composition), scissors, and glue.
- BONUS: If you also use my Grammar Units, one notebook will easily fit all of the grammar and reading notebook activities. I included a cover and dividers for this.
- Each of the 4 units includes five centers giving you lots of options to keep students occupied while you meet with small groups
- Each unit has one student recording book that takes takes two sheets of paper.
- Each unit includes the following centers: text, task cards, matching, color-coding and reading response.
- To complete the reading response activity students will need access to fiction and nonfiction texts. They will read two different books/articles/passages and respond to a question related to the unit skill. Students can use read-alouds, books from your classroom or school library, basal readers, or books you have pre-selected.
- The centers include student-friendly directions and are clear enough for students to complete independently while still providing adequate practice of the reading skill.
- I highly recommend putting all five centers out for each skill and allowing your students to complete the center activities in any order that they wish.
- Centers take 4-6 sheets of paper per unit. Depending on the size of your groups, you might want to print more than one copy of each center.
- There are color and blackline versions included. Labels for the centers are also included.
- Use cardstock and laminate center sheets for durability.
- Each of the 4 units includes 3 different reading passages with 3 questions on each passage. The questions focus specifically on the unit skill.
- Use these passages as a pre-test, post-test, and/or a re-test.
- Use one or two of them in your reading groups and then use the last one as an assessment at the end of the two-week unit.
- Use the passages during a whole group lesson. Great for a reteach or review.
- Group students by ability to make it easy to differentiate in small groups.
- Use interactive notebooks or reading passages in small groups to provide additional support to students.
- Students can use different leveled texts for reading response activities.
- Interactive notebooks serve as a great reference tool during centers or when working independently on reading passages.
- Assign more or less independent reading passages as needed.
Q: How long do these reading units take?
A: Each unit is designed to be used over a two-week time period. However, you can adapt that to fit your schedule and needs. The PowerPoint mini lesson should take about 15-20 minutes each day and the centers and center activities should take between 45-60 minutes. You can see how I break down my ELA schedule here.
Q: Do you more reading units for Second grade?
A: Yes, check out our money-saving mega bundle of 16 Second grade reading units here.
Q: Do you have reading units available for other grade levels?
A: Yes! We also have a third grade reading mega bundle available.
Q: Can these reading units be used with my basal reader?
A: Yes. These reading units are designed to be used with any reading curriculum. Many teachers use them as a supplement to their basal readers.