Also included in
- Another fantastic resource! I love all the components to really break down each skill. The power points are fantastic for the mini-lesson. I love the interactive notebook activities to reinforce the mini-lesson, as well as the assessments/independent work. The centers have become a staple during staPrice $75.00Original Price $96.00Save $21.00
This comes with an introductory power point, center activities, and 2 interactive notebook activities per standard! Thank you for making my life easier!!! Love everything Notsowimpyteacher!!! -Brittan O.
Our Third Grade Reading Units and Centers are designed to help your students master all of the third grade standards-based reading skills in a fun and engaging way. This Unit 1 Bundle includes 8 weeks of lessons. Each unit includes a PowerPoint mini lesson, 2 interactive notebook activities, 5 centers (including one reading response activity), and 3 reading passages.
Your students will get essential practice of important reading comprehension skills, including character traits, answering questions, context clues and point of view through focused practice on one skill at a time. Unit one includes fiction passages and can be used as a supplement to any reading curriculum.
We’ve made it simple to incorporate these low-prep lessons into your reading instruction. Each unit focuses on just one skill or standard at a time, which helps students master skills. Student friendly directions enable students to work independently. The same centers are used in every unit making it easy to establish a routine. Interactive notebook activities and reading passages make assessments easy.
This is a money-saving bundle. It includes four individual third grade lessons. If purchased individually, these resources would cost $24, but you can get all four for just $20. Or save even more money and buy the , which includes ALL 16 third grade reading units for just $75. That’s like getting 3.5 units (almost an entire unit bundle) for free!
- Teacher Directions & Tips
- 4 PowerPoint Mini-Lessons
- 8 Interactive Notebook Activities
- 20 Centers (text, task cards, matching, color coding, reading response)
- 12 Passages/Assessments (with answer keys)
- Teacher Binder Cover
- Student Notebook Cover
- BONUS - a set of RACE reading response posters
Topics and Skills Covered:
- Character Traits- Fiction
- Asking & Answering Questions- Fiction
- Context Clues- Fiction
- Point of View- Fiction
❤️❤️ Why You’ll Love it: ❤️❤️
- Easy to prep and use materials save valuable time
- Interactive lessons are fun and engaging and hold students interest
- Each unit focuses on one standard-based reading skill at a time
- Provides excellent practice and preparation for standardized tests
How to Use it in the Classroom:
There are so many ways to use this resource in the classroom.
- These units are perfect to use during reading workshop.
- The units do not correlate with any one reading curriculum. They are designed to supplement any materials or routines that you already have in place.
- You can use any books (or magazines) you already have in your classroom library or school library.
- Each unit is intended to be used over a two-week time frame, but this can easily be adjusted to meet your needs.
The PowerPoint Mini-Lesson
- The PowerPoint slide shows provide an introduction to the skill and are great for whole group instruction.
- The interactive slides encourage student participation and discussion.
Interactive Notebook Activities
- There are two interactive notebook activities per unit. The activities have very simple cuts so precious class time is not wasted!
- You could use these as a whole group activity (one each week) or in small groups at the teacher table or centers.
- The first activity is designed to reference and review the PowerPoint mini-lesson. The second activity however is more challenging and asks students to demonstrate their new skills.
- Students will need a notebook (spiral or composition), scissors, and glue.
- BONUS: If you also use my Grammar Units, one notebook will easily fit all of the grammar and reading notebook activities. I included a cover and dividers for this.
- Each of the 4 units includes five centers giving you lots of options to keep students occupied while you meet with small groups
- Each unit has one student recording book that takes takes two sheets of paper.
- Each unit includes the following centers: text, task cards, matching, color-coding and reading response.
- To complete the reading response activity students will need access to fiction and nonfiction texts. They will read two different books/articles/passages and respond to a question related to the unit skill. Students can use read-alouds, books from your classroom or school library, basal readers, or books you have pre-selected.
- The centers include student-friendly directions and are clear enough for students to complete independently while still providing adequate practice of the reading skill.
- I highly recommend putting all five centers out for each skill and allowing your students to complete the center activities in any order that they wish.
- Centers take 4-6 sheets of paper per unit. Depending on the size of your groups, you might want to print more than one copy of each center.
- There are color and blackline versions included. Labels for the centers are also included.
- Use cardstock and laminate center sheets for durability.
- Each of the 4 units includes 3 different reading passages with 3 questions on each passage. The questions focus specifically on the unit skill.
- Use these passages as a pre-test, post-test, and/or a re-test.
- Use one or two of them in your reading groups and then use the last one as an assessment at the end of the two-week unit.
- Use the passages during a whole group lesson. Great for a reteach or review.
- Group students by ability to make it easy to differentiate in small groups.
- Use interactive notebooks or reading passages in small groups to provide additional support to students.
- Students can use different leveled texts for reading response activities.
- Interactive notebooks serve as a great reference tool during centers or when working independently on reading passages.
- Assign more or less independent reading passages as needed.
Q: How long do these reading units take?
A: Each unit is designed to be used over a two-week time period. However, you can adapt that to fit your schedule and needs. The PowerPoint mini lesson should take about 15-20 minutes each day and the centers and center activities should take between 45-60 minutes. You can see how I break down my ELA schedule .
Q: Do you more reading units for third grade?
A: Yes, check out our money-saving mega bundle of 16 third grade reading units
Q: Do you have reading units available for other grade levels?
A: Yes! We also have a .
Q: Can these reading units be used with my basal reader?
A: Yes. These reading units are designed to be used with any reading curriculum. Many teachers use them as a supplement to their basal readers.