Reading Warm-ups - Blasts! – Nonfiction / Procedural – Grade 4 is a set of eighteen short , nonfiction and procedural reading passages coupled with four or more multiple choice questions that assess student knowledge and performance on grade four reading objectives that focus on nonfiction and procedural text. Each individual warm-up is designed to be used as a short daily reading practice. Students read a passage and answer questions based on the passage. An answer key is provided, too.
These are the same nonfiction and procedural passages and questions as the nonfiction and procedural passages and questions from Reading Warm-ups – Grade 4. Be careful not to duplicate your purchases.
Reading objectives assessed in the questions following the passages include:
- Word Meaning
- Making Connections
- Main Idea/Details
- Text Structure
- Visual Features
- Text Features
- Sequencing Events
This chart shows the type of passage included in this set of blasts:
- 4.3 – Informational – Field Trip Letter - 4.44 – Expository – Thieves on the High Seas
- 4.7 – Paired – Expository/Poem – Some Things Are Amazing / The Web
- 4.51 – Newspaper – The Spring Fine Arts Fair
- 4.8 – Paired – Report/Newspaper – Jomana’s Report About Field Day / Field Day a Huge Success - 4.62 – Expository – A Place Down Under
- 4.9 – Expository – The Armadillo - 4.72 – Expository - Muscles
- 4.13 – Informational – Flyer – Kites at the Park - 4.74 – Paired – Expository/Poem – Look What's on Your Feet / Shoes
- 4.18 – Expository – A Great Pride - 4.77 – Procedural – Something to Do
- 4.27 – Procedural - Doghouse - 478 – Procedural – A Helping Hand in Your Diet
- 4.33 – Informational Letter – The Campout - 4.79 – Procedural – Five Ways to Get Fit
- 4.39 – Newspaper – Fire Threatens Town - 4.84–Procedural – Beginning to Run As Exercise
These blasts can be used in a variety of ways. You may have your students read the passage and answer the questions in class. The answers can be checked in class and discussed immediately. The blasts can be assigned as homework and checked in class the next day. Several blasts can be put together as a mini-test.
These same passages and questions also appear in these Grade 4 products: Reading Warm-ups – Blasts! #1, 2, 3, and 4. Be careful not to duplicate your purchases.