I have used sight word phrase cards in my classroom for years (when I have taught kindergarten, first, and second grades) to build fluency and phrasing with excellent success.
My school has recently adopted a new reading curriculum, and I have seen a need for sight word phrase cards for this program.
Please note that these are Phrase Cards I have created for SECOND GRADE READING WONDERS Unit 2. These would be a great purchase for sight word practice for gifted K-1st readers (for a challenge!) or as intervention for 3rd-5th grade struggling readers.
Purchase Unit 1 Phrase Cards Here:
Purchase Unit 3 Phrase Cards Here:
Purchase Unit 4 Phrase Cards Here:
Purchase Unit 5 Phrase Cards Here:
Purchase Unit 6 Phrase Cards Here:
Some tips I use in my classroom:
- Print these on bright paper. I am color coding each unit in my own classroom (i.e. I printed these cards on bright green cardstock and laminated for durability).
- There is a hole punch circle for you to put these cards on a binder ring and put them in a center. I have hung these cards from a binder ring on command hooks for easy access and practice.
- These are printer friendly! :) All you need is black ink to print!
- Use a one minute timer for "speed drills"...I use these in my intervention group to build fluency, automaticity, and phrasing with sight words. Sometimes, each child gets his/her own stack. Other times, we partner read. One student is the "out loud" reader and the other student is the "whisper reader police officer"...the "police officer" partner is watching for and correcting any mistakes the "out loud" reader is making. (Which means...BOTH partners are reading at all times). Teacher win!
- The bottom of each card has numbers: the unit and the week. This way you can introduce new cards as you introduce the high frequency words of the week. (i.e. Unit 1 Week 2 would be 1.2)
***My students (at every reading level) beg for these cards and literally cheer when I pull them out! THEY are why I am posting these to my store! ***
I hope you find these helpful! They have been awesome for my classroom reading time.
Please remember to post a Question in the Q&A section if you have a question BEFORE you download. Q&As are more helpful and constructive rather than leaving negative feedback. I have poured my heart into these and have used them in my classroom successfully. I hope you love them!
If you use them, let me know how! I love and appreciate positive feedback! Thank you for your purchase! :)