The Reading for College: Literacy Skills Activity Book for College Readiness Programs (recommended grades 11-12 and college readiness programs like AP Language, AVID Elective, and the CSU Expository Reading and Writing Course--ERWC) offers a series of powerful literacy strategies and activities that high school teachers use to:
- improve students' academic reading and writing skills;
- enhance instruction through engaging activities;
- increase students' ability to read and write strategically;
- move students to think more analytically about their reading and writing; and
- effectively implement Common Core standards for content area literacy and college and career readiness (CCRs).
This Activity Book offers strategic reading and writing experiences that guide and support students as they learn new skills and benchmarks that teachers can use to formatively assess students' growth.
When using the workbook, we recommend starting with shorter texts (no longer than five pages) or chunk lengthier texts into shorter, more manageable reading assignments. Length and sophistication of text should increase as students demonstrate proficiency in reading.
- 12 sequenced reading lessons that can be used with any non-fiction text
- Opportunities to practice rhetorical reading and writing skills that are necessary for post-secondary reading and writing tasks
- Practical approaches to attack a wide range of sophisticated, complex texts
- Engaging activities that challenge and motivate students
- A simple roadmap for effective implementation of Common Core - - -College and Career Anchor Standards for reading, writing, and listening/speaking