Reading Skills for Math Class: 1 page visual "doodle note" plus learning stations to practice the new reading skills and strategies!
When students color or doodle in math class, it activates both hemispheres of the brain at the same time. There are proven benefits of this cross-lateral brain activity:
- new learning
- relaxation (less math anxiety)
- visual connections
- better memory & retention of the content!
Students fill in the sheets, answer the questions, and color, doodle or embellish. Then, they can use it as a study guide later on.
- text tips
- breaking down a problem
- 3 layer reading strategy for math class
- reading for understanding
- reading for detail
- reading to represent (models/equations)
- Key "To Do" terms - solve vs. simplify / evaluate
- Reviewing examples within the textbook
- Using text features
Introduce the concepts with the doodle note page, and then split your class into groups for the 5 stations! They will immediately apply the new reading skills in mathematical situations!
Check out the preview for more detail.
If you are looking for reading skills packs for other subject areas, these sets are designed to integrate nicely:
--- Close Reading Skills in ELA
--- Science Reading Skills
--- Social Studies Reading Skills