Reading the Periodic Table Practice
Atoms & Elements Unit
I have realized that there are a few areas where I have in the past failed to intentionally teach and practice information with my students. One of those areas is discussing how to read the periodic table for some basic information such as atomic number, average mass, symbol, number of protons, average number of neutrons, electrons in a neutral atom, group #, and period #. All of these items are important! I have always taught them, but assuming this was easy information, I have not always taught them intentionally or required practice.
My solution is this WS. It is a two page (single page if copied front and back) assignment with 24 questions. Nothing fancy, but it provides an avenue for students to practice and make sure they remember some of that basic information!
Students will be able to…
• Use the Periodic Table to identify an element’s symbol, atomic number, average mass, protons, electrons in a neutral atom, neutrons on average, group, and period.
• Given the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons in an atom, students will identify and calculate and element’s name, atomic number, atomic mass, and charge then arrange this information in a symbol.
• Identify an element as metal, nonmetal, or metalloid based upon it’s properties and location on the periodic table.
• Identify the number of groups and periods on the periodic table.
• Reading the Periodic Table Practice WS
• Reading the Periodic Table Practice KEY
(All items compiled in 1 PDF document. Document can not be edited.)
Additional Required Materials:
(These items are not included in the purchase.)
• Periodic Table
• Students will use the Periodic Table to help answer the questions.
***This item may also be purchased as a part of the Atoms & Elements Unit – CURRICULUM BUNDLE
***Check out more Chemistry with Confidence Atoms & Elements Unit
***Check out more curriculum in the Chemistry with Confidence TeachersPayTeachers Store
***Check out the Chemistry with Confidence website