This is a compilation of print, video and audio sources with accompanying activities that is designed to complement/ supplement tema 6 of the AP Language and Culture textbook Temas. These activities could be used by any AP Language and Culture class that is studying the Personal and Public Identities theme or any other advanced Spanish class studying a similar topic since no book or other source is needed for these activities. A full answer key is included for all discrete questions.
- 6 Valores latinos que les debes enseñar a tus hijos Por Margaret McGavin
A two page Reading about Latino Values with 7 true/ false and 11 short answer free response questions
- ¿Sabes cómo identificar a una persona heroica?
a one and a half page reading about heroic characteristics with 10 true/ false questions
- Lamento de un Jibaro- poem and 5 free response questions
- A 4 page selection of Isabel Allende’s novel, Zorro. This selection tells the story of Diego’s vision quest as a youth and how he finds out his destiny as Zorro. I like to make the kids guess which famous hero is being described in the selection to see if they can make the connection. There are 10 multiple choice plot questions, 5 quotes to explain in simpler Spanish and three short answer free response questions. The extra credit question is do they know which hero is described.
This selection is way under the 10%/ one chapter fair use rule and thus should not infringe on any copyright issues.
- Cupido- a 2 1/4 page reading about cupid and then the myth of Cupid and Ninfea. There are 7 matching questions, 7 multiple choice and 12 true/ false.
A selection from La Historia del Rey Transparente. This selection is way under the 10%/ one chapter fair use rule and thus should not infringe on any copyright issues.
There are 13 free response plot questions and 12 free response vocabulary questions.
- Primer Acto del álbum SHHH por los Kumbia Kings
a song about Hispanic identity and Hispanics living in the US struggling with their cultural identity that can be streamed for free from spotify, played off of the SHHH CD or read as a poem
There are 7 expressions from the song to explain in simpler Spanish, 7 short answer free response questions and 4 free response opinion questions. A brief explanation of the band is also included.
-Un Jíbaro en Nueva York- song and 5 free response questions
- This is a Video guide for the Documentary, La Historia de América Latina, La Crisis del orden colonial. This video is 50 minutes long in Spanish and available free on rtve.es (radio televisión española). No account is necessary and the video can be streamed or downloaded.
The video guide has a total of 80 questions of general comprehension and vocabulary in multiple choice, true/ false and matching style. It is appropriate for an upper-level high school Spanish class. A full answer key is included. It worked well in my AP Spanish language class, giving the students insight into the colonial mind-set and administration while practicing their listening skills.
- Me Voy a Convertir en un ave- song by Maná, 11 free response questions and themes to discuss in class
-América- song from West Side Story (this song is in English, but I include it since it covers the theme so well) with 15 free response questions
Kirsten Cox, Public and Private Identities, AP Spanish Language and Culture, Latin American history, colonial period, culture, identidades privadas y públicas, historia de Latinoamérica, época colonial