"Ready for Summer Reading challenge" is a fun activity my students complete on the last days of school! The students have 5 days to complete various reading challenges. If they complete the challenges within the five day limit---they get reward parties! For one, they have some friendly competition, two-- they get to have a party and three----they are completing "challenges" to make them better readers without even knowing it! Can you say "Win-win!!"
I print the challenge on double sided paper. Page one explains the directions---that all challenges have to be completed by a certain date, can be done in any order and on the same day.
The backside of the page presents kids with the six challenges they need to complete. I left the challenge I use with kids, and I also included an editable version. This way you can cater the challenge to your class needs.
For my challenges I wanted kids to get extra practice in fluency, decoding, and comprehension....so I came up with the following challenges.
1. Master level 500 Fry Phrases (great way to improve fluency!!)
2. Master Level 600 Fry Phrases
3. Read an informational article three times (out loud) and time yourself. Try to beat your previous time by increasing your reading speed. (still practicing fluency)
4. Read an informational article and highlight the difficult words, write them down and break them into syllables. (this practices a decoding strategy we had been working on all year)
5. Read a book on Reading A to Z and take a comprehension quiz. (working on comprehension at students reading level)
6. Take end of the year test with Mrs. Orr (this is for me---to see how much they have grown throughout the year)
The kids LOVE the challenge...and so do I! AGAIN--there is an editable page for you to make up your own challenges!!!