This project is perfect to get your students engaged in your personal financial literacy unit! Often, the concepts in this unit are beyond the scope of imagination for our kiddos. This unit keeps them interested and engaged, all while teaching them about taxes, budgeting, and balancing an account. They will make real-life choices about things like insurance, groceries, utilities, and charitable donations based on their income, budgeting, and the affordability of various plans. Students are encouraged to analyze their budgets as they go, making adjustments as needed. The final product is a "Real World Board" where students create pictures, receipts, pay stubs, and more to show what it's really like to be an adult in the real world!
Included in the unit:
• Step 1: Find a Job – Students will assess their skills, choose among 60+ careers, and fill out a job application.
• Step 2: Taxes – Students will find their gross and net income, based on Social Security and income tax.
• Step 3: Insurance – Students will choose medical, dental, and vision insurance.
• Step 4: Where Will You Live? – Students will choose among various dwellings.
• Step 5: Utility Bills – Students will find the cost of utility bills based on several plans available.
• Step 6: Getting Around Town – Students will choose a vehicle and budget according to a monthly payment for the vehicle and gas.
• Step 7: Let’s Eat! – Students will choose a monthly grocery budget.
• Step 8: Furniture & Accessories – Students will choose items for their home, as well as whether to rent or purchase on credit.
• Step 9: The Unexpected – Students will be faced with unexpected events that impact their budget.
• Step 10: Charitable Donations – Students will choose charities to donate their time and money.
• Step 11: Entertainment – Students will choose among various fun activities based on cost analysis.
• Step 12: Balance Your Budget – Students will balance their budget and create a savings plan.
• Keeping Records: Students will balance their checking account with debits and credits based on the monthly budget they created.
• What Do You Think? – Students will write a response to the activity explaining their thoughts on budgeting, finances, and real-life.
• Real World Boards – Instructions and materials for creating poster boards to display students' work.
• Includes a grading rubric
Check out a preview of the items included in the packet by clicking on the green tab below the thumbnails!
Please leave me some feedback and let me know how the product worked for you! FOLLOW ME to get updates on new products, which are always FREE or DISCOUNTED for the first 24 hours!
Hop on over to my blog for FREEBIES!
***Purchase of this product entitles the purchaser the right to reproduce the pages in limited quantities for one classroom’s use only. Duplication for multiple users is strictly prohibited without written permission from the seller. Multiple licenses are available for purchase in my TPT store at a discounted price.***