Do you want to use literature-based materials with mixed groups? Don't have time to print, cut, and laminate? Well, here you go! Use this digital book companion to supplement your read aloud of The Recess Queen by Alexis O'Neill and address a variety of speech and language goals. The Recess Queen is a great read aloud for back to school; it’s also a good story to spark conversations about social skills and bullying.
Three OPTIONAL bonus print activities are included: point collector score cards, dot art sheet, and a Venn diagram to compare and contrast Mean Jean and Katie Sue.
Skills addressed in this book companion include:
Articulation - /s/, "th,"/l/, /r/, /k/, and /f/: 10 words for each sound provided for students to practice sounds
Answering wh- questions about the story: 10 basic questions about the story provided; students click on correct answer from a field of 3 choices
Answering would you rather questions: 10 questions provided to elicit spontaneous speech productions
Vocabulary: 10 words chosen from the story; students choose correct definition from a field of two choices
Multiple meaning words: 5 words from story; 2 sentences for each word provided; students explain the meanings of the words in each sentence
Irregular past tense verbs: 10 fill-in-the-blank sentences provided; sentences fill in the blank with the correct irregular past tense verb
Giving explanations: 5 why questions about the story provided; students answer the questions
Identifying basic spatial and quantitative concepts: 10 basic concepts chosen; students identify the picture that illustrates the word
Stating word associations: 10 words from the story chosen; students name a word that goes with the given word
The preview shows most of the pages of this product.
How to use this digital book companion:
1. Download the PDF file to your computer. Navigate the file in Adobe on your computer with students (go to step #4) OR use on your iPad (go to step #2).
2. Email the PDF file to yourself.
3. Open the email on your iPad in Adobe.
4. Scroll through the file to slide 6.
5. Click on desired “decks.”
6. Use “Home,” “Back,” “Next,” and “Previous” buttons to navigate through the various skills as needed. (When a slide does not have a “Next” button available (and only has “Home” and “Previous,” that means it’s the last slide in that deck.)
This purchase does not include a copy of the book The Recess Queen by Alexis O'Neill. This is just an activity to supplement your read aloud of the book.
Please send me a message with any questions before purchasing.