Product Description for Qit 2: Recognizing When to Ask For Help
This Qit (or mini-unit) focuses on helping students recognize the difference between normal stress and sadness and the much more serious symptoms of depression and suicide which may put their health and safety at risk. The most common symptoms of depression and suicide are explored, as well as strategies for understanding how and when to seek help from adults both face-to-face (F2F) and online. This resource offers a sensitive and straightforward discussion of suicide, now the second leading cause of death
in young people ages 10-24, and is designed especially for students who may be learning about this difficult topic for the first time.
This Qit includes the following materials:
• a Mini-Lesson in two formats (a full-color, projectable Prezi AND a one-page, black-and-white printable)
• 5 one-page, black-and-white, printable activities
• a robust Answer Key
• thorough and detailed Instructions For Use
Looking for more details? Click on the green Preview button above to see each material up close or read on for a brief description of each.
• Mini-Lesson: Choose from either an exciting projectable Prezi (Internet connection required) or a one-page, infographic-style printable to teach the Mini-Lesson. Both formats are packed with student appeal and include a three-step strategy (broken down with in-depth examples and details), vocab words and definitions, a writing activity, and a brief graph interpretation activity.
• Worksheet: Encourage focus and attention by having students complete this short-answer, printable activity during the Mini-Lesson OR use it afterwards as group work, homework, or a quiz. So flexible!
• Strategy Practice Activity: By analyzing dialogue between the two Goobs (or characters) who were introduced in the Mini-Lesson, students will gain a deeper understanding of the strategy they just learned. The fun factor of this printable activity is amped up by the Goobs, themselves, who use relatable, casual, and often comic language as they struggle to solve the problem or challenge they're facing.
• Extension Activity: The attention-grabbing candy theme of this activity (inspired by a popular candy-themed app
) will keep students engaged as they review and extend concepts introduced in the Mini-Lesson. An optional QR Code Activity allows students to access an online incentive once the Extension Activity is completed. (See below for more info.)
• Writing Activity: Relatable questions challenge students to reflect, think critically, and demonstrate the concepts they've learned in this printable activity, which is perfect for assessment.
• Real-Life Challenges Activity: By completing a checklist of real-life challenges included in this printable activity, students will apply the concepts they've learned to their own lives so they may see and experience the strategies "in action."
• Answer Key: Super organized and detailed, this guide includes everything you need!
• Instructions for Use: In addition to basic instructions for use, you'll find links to online resources to help you use this product with ease, including an FAQ Page
(which provides a video tutorial about what's included in a Qit and how to open and operate a Prezi), a Description of Qit Materials
page (which provides visual examples highlighting the key features of all the printable materials included in a Qit), a fun, one-minute video
to introduce etiQit to your students, and much more!
. If you have a request for an editable product, please contact us
Try Before You Buy
Not sure if this product is right for you? Here's how to find out:
• Download this FREE product, Qit 8: Being an Upstander
, which follows the same format and includes the same materials (Prezi and 5 printable activities) as every other Qit
• Watch this video tutorial, How to use an etiQit Prezi
, to look inside a real Qit, and see just how easy it is to open and use an etiQit Prezi from start to finish (teaching tips included!)
Bundle Up and Save!
You can purchase the Qit sold on this page individually OR get it for less by purchasing the following Bundle, which includes three Qits of similar topics sold together at a discounted price: Resiliency Bundle: Coping With Adversity, Depression & Stress
Note: If you have already purchased the Bundle above, please do not purchase the Qit sold on this page, as you will receive a duplicate item.
Links to Similar Products Featuring Related Concepts
Qit 1: Amping Up Your Resiliency
Qit 7: Coping With Bullying Thru Friendship
Qit 25: Keeping Your Stress in Check
Notes on the Prezi
A Prezi is a digital presentation similar to a Power Point, but equipped with much more exciting viewing features such as zooming, turning, and perspective-changing, which students tend to love! Because the Prezi file included with this product contains complex graphics and effects, it is too large to include in the product download. Instead, a web link and password allowing you to access the Prezi online are included with the product. An Internet connection is required to view the Prezi, as well as Adobe Flash Player (which most computers are already equipped with, but can easily be downloaded for free
if needed). Most people view etiQit Prezis with absolutely no problems, but detailed tips for operating Prezis can also be found on etiQit's FAQ Page
(which includes a video tutorial demonstrating just how easy it is to open and use an etiQit Prezi from start to finish!) Please note that while the Prezi is full of exciting colors, graphics, and rich content, it is non-editable and does not include sound.
Notes on the QR Code Activity
By completing the Extension Activity accurately, students will generate a password that will allow them to access a hidden online incentive by scanning a QR Code. This bonus activity is great for motivating student effort and accuracy in their work (not to mention, it's just plain fun!), but is entirely optional and may be omitted. A QR Code Scanning app is required to scan the QR Code. While most students likely already have such an app on their devices, QR Reader & Barcode Scanner
is a great free option for those who do not. Further explanation of the QR Code Activity is included in the Answer Key.
Smiling Customers Guarantee
We want all our customers to be absolutely beaming over their etiQit products, so please contact us if you have a question or problem. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to help!
Welcome to etiQit, where you'll find a fresh, modern approach to social emotional learning (SEL)! Our no-prep, download-and-use materials are perfect for teachers of specialty subjects (such as counseling and guidance, health, life skills, vocational education, character education, special education, and speech) as well as general classroom teachers looking for easy-to-implement SEL activities. Students will be hooked by the infusion of technology, social media, apps, music, and pop culture in etiQit materials, all of which foster an interactive SEL experience designed to promote the social emotional health and personal safety of tweens and teens living in a connected, digital world.