This lesson is designed to build on knowledge that students should already have about adjectives, adverbs, prepositional phrases, and dependent clauses. The lesson can be taught by you or a substitute in one to two class periods. However, I planned it to be taught as five mini-lessons, one for every day of the week. This allows students to absorb the concept and use it in several ways over a longer time period. In this way, the knowledge should stay with them. I intended these activities to be used first thing in class every day as a bell-ringer activity.
I think having all the little pieces in place such as recognizing and correcting misplaced and dangling modifiers is essential to strong, unambiguous writing. So, no matter what the age of your students, they can benefit from this lesson.
Common Core aligned: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.7.1c Place phrases and clauses within a sentence, recognizing and correcting misplaced and dangling modifiers
This lesson contains:
• All teacher instructions
• Handout with worksheet on “Misplaced Modifiers” with KEY
• Worksheet titled “Dangling Modifiers” with KEY
• Study worksheet titled “What Are Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers” with KEY
• Worksheet titled “Recognizing and Correcting Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers” with KEY
• “Quiz over Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers” with KEY
Have fun with this straightforward way to learn how to correct misplaced and dangling modifiers!
This lesson is also in a Bundle. Find it in my store under Trimester Two.