The following is a common core-based lesson/worksheet that focuses on how social scientists reconstruct the past. This lesson is typically taught as the first lesson in my Global/World History curriculum but it could easily be used in US History as well. This worksheet is loaded with a variety of student-centered activities designed to promote active engagement and critical thinking. Several activities include:
• Do now – through provoking questions perfect to spark class discussion.
• George Santayana quote analysis
• Activity for pairs – Why do we study Global History?
• Several “Reconstructing the Past” activities – distinguishing fact from opinion, perspective, sample Regents questions, and primary vs. secondary sources.
• Multiple opportunities for small group or whole class discussion.
This worksheet can easily be modified to fit a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Please follow me to receive notifications about newly uploaded products. Finally, please rate this worksheet. Thanks!