This is a unit over Reconstruction that was planned with the Georgia Performance Standards in mind while creating it. The standard reads:
SS5H2 The student will analyze the effects of Reconstruction on American life.
a. Describe the purpose of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments.
b. Explain the work of the Freedmen’s Bureau.
c. Explain how slavery was replaced by sharecropping and how African-Americans were prevented from exercising their newly won rights; include a discussion of Jim Crow laws and customs.
The listing includes the following instructional items:
- An anticipation guide that allows students to see what their understanding of Reconstruction was before learning and after.
- A PowerPoint including information on the amendments, sharecropping, Freedmen's Bureau, and Jim Crow Laws
- Notes pages that allow students to follow along and fill in the blanks of important sections of their notes. Vocabulary matching is included on the notes pages.
- A vocabulary matching activity that allows students to cut out cards and match terms to their definitions.
- A class "I have, who has" game that allows students to review important concepts of Reconstruction
- A study guide for review
- Reconstruction assessment
NOTE: If you would like to edit the presentations, products, or tests in any way – PLEASE feel free. I am satisfied with my product AS IS, but realize others may wish to make edits.
Other (copyrighted - sorry!) instructional items were used in addition to the teaching and assessing of my own students, but these items were a huge part of my Reconstruction instruction for me.
Those instructional items include:
Carole Marsh 5th Grade Social Studies Workbook, located at:
Georgia Test Prep CRCT for 5th Grade, located at:
I have included the files as word documents, so please feel free to edit them to your needs/teaching.
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions!