This comprehensible, engaging, relevant and informational text on teen sleep habits and routines, is the perfect addition to your Health Unit. Not only do students review and gain additional exposure to reflexive verbs, but they learn why sleep is so important in this age of "distraction."
Best of all, activities provide practice around the three modes of communication, with a "critical thinking" component.
La vida sana includes:
1. Present tense Informational Comprehensible text on sleep habits, and school.
2. Advice section to teens on how to structure their routines (tienes que...)
3. Pre-reading activities such as vocabulary matching, verb definition and cloze-text activity with the goal of making the text more approachable and comprehensible.
4. CommunicationTask cards regarding the habits of Teens.
5. Note-taking document- yes, my Spanish 1 students had to read and take notes just like they do in English class! I had them work together on this. It was really fun and they were proud of themselves at the end.
6. Post comprehension questions (I usually give this as an assessment). They have to use textual evidence in their response.
7. Writing prompt- Since this unit is done in conjunction with learning about reflexives, they complete a writing sample at the end.
Part 2: La entrevista
8. Pre-reading vocabulary and fill-in-the-blank activity for Interview vocabulary.
9. Interview on healthy eating and routines (reflexive verbs) of teens (two students and one asks the other on a date at the end... love a bit of romance).
10. Comprehension questions
- Video games