Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
3.67 MB | 27 pages
This is a zipped file that includes an editable PowerPoint file with animation and a pdf of student notes to fill in. PLEASE make sure you know how to unzip a file before purchasing. =)
I use this presentation and notes sheet for all of my physics classes. It includes everything I expect my Conceptual Physics class to know (Ch 29 in Hewitt textbook) and serves as a good introduction for my AP Physics class.
This does NOT go into index of refraction (n) or Snell’s Law.
It is assumed that students already learned reflection and are familiar with drawing “the normal”.
I use a few slides to develop an understanding (WATCH, LISTEN & LEARN) then a slide to add the information to notes (WRITE).
The presentation includes:
- Wheels rolling. When the speed changes (sidewalk to grass) the path bends
- Light bends towards the normal when it gets slow & away from the normal when it gets faster
- Cup Demonstration (you need styrofoam cups & water)
- Flashlight underwater - critical angle and internal reflection
- Uses for internal reflection (add your own pictures)
- Why do diamonds sparkle?
The slides are not cluttered with words. The teacher must do the explaining, so this requires some minor prior prep that is explained in the notes of the PowerPoint file.
In slide 20 YOU need to add pictures for fiber optics or internal reflection since I don't have the legal rights to the cool pictures that show up in a Google image search!