Reindeer are the focus of this nonfiction informational text packet containing 35 pages of activities focusing on caribou and reindeer. Activities include:
* Nonfiction Mini- Book and Tunnel Book Patterns (7 pages): Two pages of teacher instructions, 3 pages of informational student text which can be assembled into mini-books, and 2 pages of patterns for creating illustrated tunnel books are included.
* Reindeer Adaptations (5 pages): One page of teacher instructions, a 1 page nonfiction/informational article about a reindeer's physical adaptations, and 3 pages of patterns for creating an interactive lift-the-flap project revolving around reindeer adaptations are included.
* Comparing and Contrasting Deer Species (12 pages): This section contains 2 pages of nonfiction fact sheets about reindeer, moose, elk, and white-tailed deer, 4 pages of illustrated diagrams comparing reindeer to three other deer species, a 1 page chart showing the mean height and length of seven different species of deer along with 1 page of questions about the chart, 2 pages of blank tables for students to complete about different deer species, using information found in the included diagrams and charts, and 2 pages of critical thinking activities in which students must use research to make inferences in order to identify a particular deer species based on a series of clues.
* Reindeer Extras (8 pages): Contains 2 pages of a nonfiction article about the creation of the story of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and questions about the article, and 6 pages of activities for creating a written report about reindeer.
* Answer Keys (2 pages): Included for activities in which a key may be useful.
* 1 page of suggested websites for further research
This product works very well around the Christmas holidays, as it deals with a topic that most intermediate aged students are interested in at this time of year. The activities make a great alternative to traditional holiday themes. However, the activities in this unit can be used at any time of the year, as Christmas is not mentioned in any of the printables, with the exception of the “Most Famous Reindeer of All” reading passage.
For similar activities, check out the following products:
Animal Adaptions: 6 Interactive Learning Activities
Just the Facts: African Animals Research Writing Project
Where Do I Belong? A Study of the Classification of Vertebrates
Holiday and Seasonal Activities
Recipes for Reading Comprehension: Christmas and Winter Themes
by Rebecca Bettis