After teaching in New York City for several years, I have created many of my own resources to address September 11th in a way that is age-appropriate for elementary school students.
The activities and printables found within this literacy packet are appropriate for upper elementary age students (Grades 3-6). Some projects are appropriate for 2nd grade students;however, I recommend reviewing the material and making a judgment call based on the maturity of your class and the community where you teach.
Please reach out to me for a larger preview and more detailed description in the Ask the Seller section on TpT before purchasing if you have any doubts!
In this 54 packet you will find....
1) Four reading passages with relevant vocabulary about the Twin Towers, Pentagon, Shanksville, PA (United 93) and the patriotism and courage of Americans following the terrorist attacks. High-level reading response sheets included for all four passages. Great for short literature circles, homework or close reading tasks.
2) Vocabulary list with definitions - Also included is a vocabulary web graphic organizer that can be used with other curriculum areas.
3. A "Fill in The Blank" vocabulary assignment that can be used for morning work, homework or "When I'm Done" work.
4) September 11th Interview sheet + brainstorm page.
5) I Love America ABC book (2 options for use) - includes brainstorm sheet, teacher cheat sheet and 26 alphabet book half-pages **Appropriate for Grade 2!**
6) Courage Is - writing prompt with direction, best used after reading "Courage" by Bernard Waber. **Appropriate for Grade 2**
7) How Should We Observe September 11th? Writing Response
8) Rebuilding the NYC Skyline + short assignment that has kids brainstorming and designing their own skyscraper - NOT a detailed project - meant to be quick!
9) September 11th KWL Chart
This packet is completely black and white printer friendly! :)
Please see the preview file for a closer look! This packet is only editable in the event of an error. Please direct all questions to my TpT Ask Seller Question tab and I will respond promptly :)