We use Reminder Cards as the basis for our discipline plan. Each Reminder Card displays one of our classroom rules. They are:
1. Please sit crisscross, hands in lap on the carpet.
2. Please sit safely in chairs and on the bus.
3. Please show good character- be kind, polite, honest, and responsible.
4. Please listen carefully when others are talking.
5. Please follow directions the first time they are given.
6. Please keep your hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
7. Please keep your work area and the classroom clean.
8. Please work quietly during independent work time.
9. Please use walking feet and stand properly in line.
I make multiple copies of each card, and keep them in pockets on a bulletin board. The students also have pockets on their desks. When a student is having difficulty with a rule, they get a Reminder Card. It is a visual reminder for the rest of the week of what they need to work on.
Each Friday, I take time to meet with each child and check their pockets. I keep track of how many cards they have gotten, if any. We talk about how to make better choices. I have found that this discipline works best for us because it is not disruptive to my teaching and forces the kids to think about making good choices.
This download includes 9 Reminder Cards. Each card has words and an illustration, making them easily recognizable for the little ones. I've also included 3 blank cards for you to customize. Each rule has its own colorful full-size poster for display, if you'd like. I have also included 2 posters of the 9 rules, in rainbow colors and blue/green. I put our poster on the bulletin board with the Reminder Cards, and the kids signed their names around it as an agreement to follow the rules. Finally, the file includes a weekly chart for keeping track of the Reminder Cards that students get. I hope you find it useful!