The following is a common core-based lesson/worksheet that focuses on the music, art, and literature of the Renaissance. This lesson is typically taught over a two-day period (75 minute periods) and follows a lesson introducing humanism and the Renaissance. This worksheet is loaded with a variety of student-centered activities designed to promote active engagement and critical thinking. Several activities include:
• Do now – reviews from previous lesson and appropriately sets up current lesson.
• Discussion about art and music and how it reflects the values and beliefs of society
• Gregorian chant (Middle Ages) vs. Ave Maria (Renaissance music) included with questions – perfectly illustrates the cultural differences between the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.
• Characteristics of Renaissance Art – How is it humanistic?
• Renaissance Art Analysis – focuses on three class Renaissance paintings
• Primary and secondary source analysis – Renaissance Man, Renaissance literature – Rabelais, Shakespeare and Machiavelli – includes several critical thinking questions.
• Machiavelli activity – analysis of excerpt from The Prince
• Enormous opportunities for discussion.
• Fill-in-the-blank notes
This bundle also includes a 28-slide PowerPoint with all art images included!
This worksheet can easily be modified to fit a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Please follow me to receive notifications about newly uploaded products. Finally, please rate this worksheet. Thanks!
I also offer this bundle combined with several other lessons from the Renaissance and Reformation era...
Bundle #12 - Renaissance and Reformation - Global/World History Common Core