Research Paper Writing with updated 8th edition MLA format information: This research paper writing unit includes everything you need to teach research paper writing and MLA formatting and citations to your students.
This step-by-step resource reviews the eight steps of research writing with students: selecting topics, generating questions, brainstorming, researching and gathering credible information, organizing and outlining, writing the first draft, peer editing, and finalizing the paper.
This research paper writing unit includes 2 files:
- An engaging and editable, 49 slide PowerPoint
- A PDF document with teaching materials.
The PowerPoint presentation is a multi-day presentation that teaches students about the basics of research paper writing and MLA format, which is updated for the current 8th edition requirements. This lesson covers the the steps to writing a research paper, the differences between reliable and unreliable sources, MLA citations and formatting, source cards, and more. There is even a quick video that demonstrates how to set up a document in MLA format in Microsoft Word.
The supplementary material includes:
- A multi-day, standards-based unit outline
- An MLA citations and source cards student handout
- Source card graphic organizer
- Research writing guidelines handout
- Research essay outline
- Research essay assignment about an invention created before 1950
- Multiple research writing graphic organizers
- Peer edit form
This resource is included in these three bundles:
Ultimate Writing Bundle for Secondary English
Introduction to Writing BUNDLE
Ultimate Research Writing Bundle (Grades 8-12)
Going Digital? Check out the digital SMARTePlans lesson for this resource:
SMARTePlans Digital Research Paper Writing Unit for Google Drive