Research Simulation Task for Early American Literature in the style of PARCC with a hint of AP Lit and Comp.
This is a lesson that usually takes me several days. I use several short texts both historical and literary to introduce Early American Literature. These are diverse texts, and documents like this can end up on the new standardized tests like the PARCC. This material has been organized to resemble the PARCC Research Simulation Task. They will present the students with 2-3 readings (I have given them 5), ask a series of multiple choice questions focusing on textual evidence (I made it harder with short answer questions) and then ask them to write an essay synthesizing at least three readings (sources) while making sure students develop their essays by providing textual evidence from both texts.
Included with this packet:
The text of the following primary documents:
• “Christopher Columbus Writes of His First View of the New Word in 1492”
• “From The Iroquois Constitution”
The text of the following secondary/literary sources:
• “Earth on Turtle’s Back”
• “When Grizzlies Walked Upright”
• A short excerpt from the “Navajo Origin Legend” Retold by Washington Matthews
• Close reading questions for each text that require students cite actual textual evidence for every answer they give. The questions are designed to focus readers on finding their answers in the text and be able to use the text to support any of those answers.
• A Prose Constructed Response Essay Prompt about the Early European settlers and their perceptions of the Natives. The response requires students to cite from sources provided to support an argument that contradicts the savage stereotype of the Native peoples of North and South America.
• A rubric for the essay based on the AP Literature and Composition rubric.
• Answer Key for all Close Reading Questions- some answers are subjective and you must use your judgment to decide whether or not the student has based their answer in the text.
I also have a graphic organizer for the Literary Analysis Task- Prose Constructed Response Essay available in my store. Please take a look.