This differentiated research unit offers 20 detailed lessons, handouts, and a step-by-step instructional Powerpoint (100 slides). Included are activities, guided instruction, models, and sources. Three research topics are offered for differentiation: endangered animals (basic), infectious diseases (intermediate), and genetic disorders (advanced). While students find these science-based topics to be fascinating, the procedural nuts and bolts of the unit will also work with any other research topic you may choose.
Students will enjoy this simple step-by-step guide to writing a research paper. Using the handouts and the instructional Powerpoint presentation, you can support students as they learn to:
• Identify parts of a research paper.
• Search for and evaluate internet sources.
• Select and narrow a topic.
• Highlight and label relevant information in a source.
• Take notes effectively using the Cornell method.
• Write a strong thesis statement and topic sentences to maintain a controlling focus.
• Construct a conclusion that shows the ability to synthesize rather than just summarize the information presented.
• Document sources: parenthetical citations and works cited page.
Two attention-grabbing Powerpoints are also included to introduce and interest students in the topics!
If you like this product, you may be interested in the Animal Rights Research Project, a partner project that uses Google Classroom as a platform for research, presentation, and collaboration.