This bundle is jam packed full of content. There are two ability levels to help you differentiate instruction for the notes; basic and enriched. The enriched version goes into more detail and brings in quotes from people at the time like Samuel Gompers. It has more links, one of which can help you link child labor of the past to the child labor of today. The basic version simplifies the language used for the content. Both versions use the same content. This is great to use if you parallel co-teach. If you are not lucky enough to have a co-teacher, you can choose the version that best suits each of your classes.
In the PowerPoint, there is a vocabulary slide at the beginning that includes the following vocabulary words:
3. Labor Union
The essential questions are provided at the beginning of the PowerPoint and then repeated again at the end. These are the essential questions:
1. Who entered the workforce and what kind of work did they do?
2. How did the roles of workers change?
3. What are unions and how did they work for improvements in the work place?
4. What were the results that the unions achieved?
The content that is included in the PowerPoint is listed below.
1. Industrialization created a larger workforce and complex work
2. Working conditions changed and placed hardships on the workers: workers and owners, roles of women, roles of minorities, roles of disabled, roles of children
3. Roots of modern labor unionism: Knights of Labor and the Haymarket Riot, Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel Workers and the Homestead Strike, American Federation of Labor, American Railway Union and the Pullman strike, Industrial Workers of the World, International Ladies Garment Workers Union and the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire,
4. Labor as a Reform Movement in Other Aspects of Society
This bundle follows the 8th grade social studies curriculum and standards for NYS. Even though this is made for middle school, the enriched version of the PowerPoint will work perfectly for a high school class. I think the activity and vocabulary sheets will be too easy for high school higher than the 9th grade.The PowerPoint is available on its own. You can follow the link below to get there. This was last revised on 10/06/2013. Please download the preview file so that you can see what you will be getting with this purchase.
The lesson plan includes:
1. Lesson Plan
2. 3 Ability Levels of Vocabulary Sheets
3. Enriched Note Sheets for both PowerPoints
4. Basic Note Sheets for Enriched PowerPoint
5. Basic Note Sheets for Basic PowerPoint
6. Metaphor Activity with rubric
7. Homework Paragraph Writing with grading checklist
If you are interested in only the PowerPoint you can follow this link: Response of Labor to Industrialization PowerPoint
Please consider following me so that you know when I post new items and throw a sale. Thank you in advance for rating my product. Your opinion really helps others see the quality of my work.
Response of Labor to Industrialization Lesson and PowerPoint Bundle
by Kasha Mastrodomenico
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Based on a work at www.socialstudiesdifferentiatedinstruction.com
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.socialstudiesdifferentiatedinstruction