This is a 3 lesson series that covers the following:
1. Writing a Good Resume (1-2 classes)
a. Students should create a resume prior to beginning interview practice. Resume writing will allow students to explore their past experiences and reflect upon how those experiences might help them in college or in the workforce.
1. Resume builder worksheet
2. Resume template
3. Laptop with Microsoft Word
2. Writing a Cover Letter (1 class)
a. Although students may not need to write a cover letter for jobs applied to in high school, being introduced to the concept now will allow them to familiarize themselves with what is required, as well as giving them an opportunity to refine their writing skills.
1. Cover Letter Lesson Plan
2. Student Packet (included)
3. Introduction to Interviewing (1-2 classes)
a. This lesson will cover the five parts of an interview in a step by step format, including how to follow up after an interview. This may be a good opportunity to review how to write a formal thank you e-mail or letter.
b. It is recommended that students conduct peer mock interviews as part of this lesson using the interview evaluation form.
1. 5 Part Interview Lesson Plan
2. Sample interview questions
3. Mock interview evaluation form
4. “How are you rated?” pie chart
5. Sample Thank You Letter (express to students how important this is!)