Retelling and summarizing a story (or part of a story) is an important reading skill that is emphasized in the Common Core beginning in Kindergarten and expected to be practiced with increasing independence as students move through elementary school.
Through the activities and graphic organizers included in this packet, students will gain valuable experience with the different ways of crafting a successful retell of a story and/or chapter. This is an important foundational skill, essential as students begin to summarize stories or parts of stories in Grade 4 and above.
The activities and printables in this packet are best suited for Grades K-3; however, they can certainly be used for remediation in 4th and 5th grade.
Here's what's included if you purchase!
1. Retell Touch Points - A multisensory tool for teaching students to orally retell a story using transition words (first, next, last) or story parts (beginning, middle, end). Teacher directions + Student bookmarks are included.
2.My Retelling Book - Pages for BME + lesson learned/central message
3. Graphic organizers for retelling a story or chapter in sequence using BME and transition words (4 in total)
4. Story Element Posters (characters, Main character, setting, problem, solution, lesson learned, and central message
5. Story element anchor chart labels (match the story element posters)
6. Story elements graphic organizers (2)
7. Five Finger Retell (with matching visuals)
8. My Story Elements Book - 9 different graphic organizers designed to push student thinking surrounding story elements in fiction books
9. BME transition word wheel
10. Transition words and phrases (higher level)
11. Retelling bookmarks (2 sets)
12. Important and Interesting posters + graphic organizers
Please ask any and all questions before purchasing this pack and be sure to check out the preview for visuals and a FREE sample!