Retelling is an important skill for readers to learn. These large puzzle pieces act as great visual cues to help students retell stories. Using the included familiar stories of The Three Billy Goats Gruff and The Little Red Hen students will learn how to retell stories in an easy to learn format using Characters, Setting, Problem, Events, and Solution.
Activities included are:
- Retelling Robin- Read Aloud Class Book
- Use this read aloud to introduce the retelling puzzle. Each piece of the puzzle is explained in this read aloud.
- Large Puzzle Pieces- Classroom Visual
- These puzzle pieces serve as a visual reminder of to retell a story. Students can use these to help them retell a story.
- Student Bookmarks
- These bookmarks are great to keep in book boxes so that students have access to them at all times.
- The Three Billy Goats Gruff Student Book
- This is a ten page book of the familiar story of The Three Billy Goats Gruff (also available in black and white). Read it together as a class and practice retelling using the puzzle pieces. There is also a page with the events of the story and the students can cut out the pieces and put them back in order.
- The Little Red Hen Student Book
- This is a ten page book of the familiar story of The Little Red Hen (also available in black and white). Read it together as a class and practice retelling using the puzzle pieces. There is also a page with the events of the story and the students can cut out the pieces and put them back in order.
- Worksheets for Retelling Stories
- Students can write about the Characters, Setting, Problem, Events, and Solution of any book using either pictures or words.
- Partner Chit-Chat
- Get a buddy and practice retelling! Use this checklist to cross off each puzzle piece as you read and retell with a partner.
- Retelling Rubric
- Need documentation? Use this rubric to see if your students are able to retell familiar stories.
- RTI Documentation
- Have students struggling with this skill and need more specific intervention? Use this documentation - just add in the dates that you teach each activity and write down any notes.
- Retelling Tab Book
- This is a fun top tab book for students to make. They can either draw pictures or write about the 5 different parts of a retelling.
• Guided Reading Activities BUNDLED with Guided Reading Lesson Plans
• Main Topic, Main Idea, and Key Details
• Phonics Activities and Lessons (Rockin' Phonics Bundled)
• Phonics Assessments (Decoding)
Don't forget- leaving feedback earns you TPT credits toward free TPT purchases!
FOLLOW ME to be no tified when new resources are uploaded AND I offer 50% off my products for the first 48 hours. It pays to follow.
ROCK YOUR LITERACY BLOCK!
JD's Rockin' Readers