This product can be used during a Changes (state of matter) science unit. I created this packet to use with my second graders, but it can be used in many other grade levels. Prior to conducting this science experiment, I used multiple class periods to introduce the various stages of matter to my class. The purpose of conducting this experiment is to determine if a change is reversible or irreversible. There are a plethora of science experiments you can conduct while using this packet.
Examples of reversible change experiments:
- melting butter
- melting ice
- melting chocolate
Examples of irreversible change experiments:
- chemical experiment with a penny
- making plastic with milk and vinegar
This produce includes:
- blank experiment packet
- example experiment
Different ways to use this product:
- Conduct an experiment as a class and fill out the packet together
- Conduct the experiment as a class and have students work through the packet together
- Have students work in partners to design a reversible change experiment
This science packet integrates writing standards. "I Can" statements are posted on each page to help students focus on various writing standards in the context of a science experiment.
The writing "I Can" statements include:
- I can list my materials.
- I can use AWESOME adjectives to describe.
- I can make a prediction about what will happen when I complete the experiment.
- I can write a step-by-step procedure using transition words.
- I can write a short narrative of what happened.