Revolutionary War Heroine: Catherine "Kate" Moore Barry(Battle of Cowpens)
Studying the Revolutionary War? Looking for a female to highlight that contributed to to the formation of our nation? This reading passage(with extension activities) highlights the "Heroine of the Battle of Cowpens", Catherine "Kate" Moore Barry.
Part of my Let's Meet Series, students will learn about Kate Barry with a reading done in the first person. There are several Did You Know? fun facts about other women who helped with the Revolutionary War. There are comprehension questions and a map skill activity. The teacher page has some extension activities, additional links of interest and the keys.
Check out these resources on the Revolutionary War:
1. During the Revolutionary War, the Culper Spy Ring was organized to work to defeat the British. Agent 355 and other members of the spy organization were very important in the colonists being victorious in the War for Independence from England. Although Agent 355's real name remains a mystery, she was one of the women spies who showed that patriotism has no gender! Secret codes, invisible ink, LAUNDRY used to communicate messages, what spies did during the Revolutionary war, lots of information is weaved into Agent 355 being a guest on Ms. Bie Ografee's Talk Show with the studio audience asking her questions. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Revolutionary-War-Spies-A-Visit-with-Female-Agent-355Culper-Spy-RingScript-2441726
2. During the American Revolution, Tories supported the British in the war. Loyalists, the King’s Friends and Royalists were other names for those that took sides with the British. Students will learn about what it was like to be a Tory during the American Revolutionary War. Joshua Crabtree(fictitious character) is a guest on Ms. Bie Ografee's Talk Show. The format of the Reader's Theater Script is that a studio audience asks questions of Ms. Bie Ografee's guest to learn what it was like to support the British and not the Patriots during the American Revolution.
There are 10 questioners, A Did You Know? section, comprehension questions and a Teacher Page with extension activities and the key. American Revolutionary War: A Visit with a Tory!
Revolutionary War Bundle includes the following resources:
1. Reader’s Theater Script: Revolutionary War Spies! A Visit with a Female Agent
2. Reader’s Theater Script: A Visit with Joshua Crabtree, a Tory!
3. Reader’s Theater Script: James Madison, “Father of the Constitution”.
4. Reader’s Theater Script: A Visit with Thomas Jefferson
5. Reading Passage Activity: Phillis Wheatley
6. Benjamin Franklin: A Webquest
7. A Reader's Theater Script: Dolly Madison
George Washington and the Camel
Calvin Coolidge and the “Pennsylvania Avenue Zoo”
John Quincy Adams Takes a Swim
Thomas Jefferson and the Mammoth Cheese
Santa Fe Trail: Wind WagonThomas
Revolutionary War Heroine: Catherine “Kate” Moore
Barry(Battle of Cowpens)
Enheduanna, First Known Poet in History
Artemisia(Female Naval Commander during the Battle of Salamis)
Hanno: Phoenician Explorer
Ramses the Great
Alexander the Great
Hypatia: First Woman Mathematician
Agnodice(First Female Doctor of Ancient Greece)
Joan of Arc
Sophie Brahe: Astronomer and Horticulturist
Hildegard of Bingen(Middle Ages)
Aida de Acosta(First Woman to Fly a Powered Aircraft)
Women’s Suffrage: The Silent Sentinels
Sir Edmund Hillary
History of Pretzels
History of Marshmallows
History of Tulips
Snowmen in History
History of April Fools’ Day
Great Wall of China
Travel to Iceland
Travel to Greece
Travel to Japan