The following file is a mini unit I use with my AP English Language class to get us started thinking about rhetorical analysis. I usually do this in the first week of school.
File includes the following:
- Full text of President George W. Bush's speech on 9/11, formatted to give students room to annotate.
- Full text of President George W. Bush's speech on 9/11, with a starter key pointing out basic rhetorical moves Bush is making in regards to language and structure.
- Notes for students on how to establish rhetorical context for a piece, and space for them to identify the context for the 9/11 speech
- Rhetorical context key for 9/11 speech
- Notes on A.P.E. analysis clusters, with sample analysis, and space for students to practice
- Practice AP style essay prompt as a closing activity for the 9/11 text