This mini unit takes students through the reading and analysis of President Obama's Eulogy for the Reverend Clementa Pickney at Charleston's Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in 2015.
While a beautiful and moving speech on its own, it is also an excellent source to use in classes to discuss the style and structure of argumentative writing. This mini unit includes the following:
- A full-text reproduction of the speech, formatted to facilitate student annotation
- An assignment where students take sample student writing and work to develop commentary/analysis (an example is provided for students on the assignment)
- Group analysis/presentation assignment (formatted two to a page to save on copy paper)
- Close reading timed writing prompt (great for a summative assessment after students have thoroughly gone over the text)
- Op-ed article written after the speech, discussing the speech-- formatted to facilitate student annotation.
I have used this with both AP-level and college-prep/general ed classes.