The provided 8 Common Core rigorous activities explore persuasive techniques (repetition, rhetorical questions, card stacking, and bandwagon fallacies) in popular commercials. The activities are tied to the Common Core standards RI2, RI6, SL3. Students will examine how the persuasive technique is revealed and developed in the commercial. The activities include a teacher answer key to assist you in your guided feedback to students. The video for each commercial is embedded on each Word document so that you do not have to look for the commercial. The video is in a standard AVI format so that it can be played on most computers, and teachers who cannot access YouTube at work can still show the video to their classes. As students view and analyze the author’s use of argumentative appeals, rhetorical devices, and establishment of purpose, students will become critical viewers and thinkers. Students will answer the following questions for each of the 8 commercials:
1. Which technique of persuasion did this advertisement use? (bandwagon fallacy, card stacking, rhetorical questions, repetition)
2. What is the product maker's point of view or purpose in the advertisement?
3. Who is the intended audience for this website, commercial, television clip, or print advertisement?
4. What helps the consumer understand this advertisement’s message?
5. Which important information did the advertisement or commercial fail to get across? Does the commercial contain any logical fallacies?
6. Are the viewers getting all the information that they need, or are they confused about the message?
7. Which part of the advertisement or commercial might discourage a customer?
Make sure you follow my store for future releases and future sales!
Follow my store!!
Check out the other products that I have available that use popular commercials to teach dramatic and situational irony, argumentative appeals (logos, ethos, pathos), figurative language, and idioms.
8 Common Core Activities for Figurative Language in Commercials w/Answer Key
1 FREE Common Core Activity for Figurative Language in Commercials w/Answer Key
1 FREE Common Core Activity for Idioms in Commercials w/Answer Key
6 Common Core Activities for Idioms in Commercials w/Answer Key
FREE Common Core Activity w/Answer Key for Situational Irony in Commercials!!
8 Common Core Activities for Dramatic and Situational Irony in Commercials
FREE Common Core Activity w/Answers for Logos, Ethos, Pathos in Commercials!!
10 Common Core Activities for Logos, Ethos, and Pathos in Commercials
Rhetorical Questions, Card Stacking, and Bandwagon Fallacies in 8 Commercials
by Dr. Joel C. Boyce
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License