Picture Book Poetry: Introduction to Rhyme gives young students a familiar introduction to poetry and rhyme through picture books they already know and love.
This product includes lesson plan ideas using picture books, discussion prompts for the teacher for three books, individual practice pages for students to find rhymes (as well as a similar full-color center option), two templates for writing their own poems, and a few public domain poems that a teacher may want to use with young children.
This product is also available in a BUNDLE!
The lesson plan includes:
* An annotated picture book list of books introducing the concept of rhyming. (Key books include Rhyming Dust Bunnies, Giraffes Can't Dance, and more!)
* A list of activities for extending rhyming picture books into a lesson about rhyme.
* A list of some nursery rhymes and other poems
* An explanation of the worksheet sets attached.
* Discussion prompts for the teacher for three of the suggested books.
The worksheets include:
* Rhyme matching pages in which students draw a line from one pictured item to the item with which it rhymes.
* Color, cut, and paste pages in which students match pictures in to the correct "houses" (also in color for center use if preferred).
* Templates for two rhyming poems if desired.
* A few samples of (public domain) poetry for possible teacher use
This would work in a classroom or a homeschool setting. Although intended for kindergartners, it may be adapted to meet the needs of first graders or older children.