"Riding Freedom" by Pam Munoz Ryan Novel Study
*16 pages of materials
*Ties in with multiple literacy standards!
1. Six Horse Stagecoach Vocabulary- Students fill in diagram of 6 horse stagecoach with correct terms that are given with definitions
2. Snapshots of the 1800’s- Students draw and caption historical information for the 1800s and then with the 2000's to compare/contrast historical & modern times
3. Notice and Note Signposts graphic organizer- open template to use when identifying signposts (Kylene Beers and Robert Probst)
4. Character Analysis graphic organizers for 7 characters- Students look at actions, words, and interactions to infer character traits and then compare/contrast with other characters
5. Postcards to write from Charley’s and Hayward’s point of view- Students imagine what both friend's letters said and write from 2 points of view.
6. Socratic Seminar Conversation Starters: “What would have happened if…”- 16 conversation starter cards to use in small groups or with a socratic seminar (pages included to know when to discuss each one, or can use all at the end of the book) Depth of knowledge increases with beginning, middle, and end of story.