Rio 2016 Olympic Games Class Play including history, events and ode
This script is a combination/condensed version of two previous scripts: History of the Olympic Games and Olympic Games 2016. Whilst its main focus is coverage of all the 2012 sporting events, there is included a list of the previous 'host nations' (but without all the accompanying information i.e. medals won and 'events' on and off the course - inclusion of all this material would have made a single script far too long). Also included is the Olympic Ode - as an optional extra. Thus, the cast can be as small as 30 or as great as 75, with a cast of 52 as another possibility - the production notes explaining these numbers fully.
The duration is from 20 minutes to at least 30 minutes - this does not include music options.
Child 5: Like football! Same objective but using feet instead of a stick! Oh and not forgetting that new sport – rugby sevens. New Zealand have to be the favourites having won the 2015 rugby World Cup. Course we all know how good the Brazilians are at football – oops, don’t mention the last world cup!
Narrator: But playing at home should give them ‘the edge’
Trev: Like in 1908 when Great Britain won gold! What a moment! Particularly as this was the first time football had been played at the Olympics! A debut to remember!
Narrator: (Aside) Those were the days! But hey! (Shaking himself up) Who knows? Amazing things do happen at the Olympics!
Child 6: Like that 1992 U.S. Dream Team! What a set of athletes they were – and not bad at ‘dunkin’ from what I’ve heard!
Narrator: Dunkin? You mean, Dunkin Doughnuts? (Rubbing tummy) Mmm I’ve heard they’re pretty yummy!
Child 6: (Throwing hands up in exasperation) No no! Not that kind of ‘dunkin’! Basketball dunkin is when the ball is slammed directly into the net using one or two hands.
Narrator: Shame! Dunkin doughnuts sounds a lot more fun! Next!
Child 7: Handball!
(Child 5 runs over waving a red card. Narrator ushers him back to his place)
Narrator: Sit down! You’ve had your turn! Handball is the name of this sport – not a red card offence like in football.
(Aside) Dear dear, just can’t get the staff these days!
(To Child 7) Please proceed.
Child 7: Handball is similar to football – but we use hands instead of feet
Trev: Which is why you’re called handball and not football!
(Whole cast applauds loudly)
Narrator: (Laughing) Thank you so much for that! A truly amazing deduction, Master Trevor!
Trev: (Huffily) OK, OK!
Narrator: Oh don’t you worry! I’m sure we’ll be hearing a lot more from you! Next!
Child 8: Badminton!
Trev: (Hastily) Did you know that the feathers of these shuttlecocks (taking shuttlecock from Child 8) come from the left wing of a goose?
Child 8: (Snatching shuttlecock back) As a matter of fact, I did know that – and was just about to tell everyone before you jumped in! Talk about stealing my thunder!
Narrator: (Placing himself between ‘sparring’ Child 8 and Trev) Now, now! Let’s not forget the spirit of these Games! We’ll have no ‘fowl’ play thank you very much.
(Aside) Fowl play? Get it?! Wing of a goose? (Throws up hands) Oh never mind, I thought it was funny!
Script writer, Sue Russell, has now completed updating all Olympic scripts so the following list is a current representation of what files are available.
Olympic Scripts Currently Available
1. Brazil - Host Country to 2016 Olympics
2. History of the Olympics - Ancient to present day
3. Olympics PRIDE Assembly (PSHE 'team spirit' script)
4. Olympic Games 2016 Leavers Assembly
5. Rio 2016 Olympic Games Assembly - covering all 28 sports
6. Rio 2016 Olympic Games Assembly: history and events - combined script including Olympic Ode
7. Olympics Assembly for Key Stage 1 Rio 2016
8. Paralympics 2016 Assembly
GUIDED READING SCRIPTS
9. A Complete History of the Olympic Games Guided Reading Scripts plus quizzes - set of 8 scripts, plus quizzes, - this is the original set of 6 from Ancient to 2004 plus two updates of 2008 and 2012.
10. 2008 Beijing Olympics Guided Reading - now included in purchase of (9)
11. 2012 London Olympics Guided Reading - now included in purchase of (9)
12. Olympics PRIDE Guided Reading
13. Rio 2016 Olympic Games Quiz - 100 questions and answers!